19 February 2011

renewal.

For some individuals, the event that started on Wednesday and is continuing has earned the title "revival."
I do not doubt that this is a well-earned descriptor. There has been spiritual death on this campus, and I believe that some individuals have been and are being brought back to life. For most of the rest of us, this has been a time of renewal. I choose to use this word to describe what is taking place.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, let me fill you in. Jeff Kling, former Bethel student, shared his testimony of how God healed him and changed his life. Please read Jeff's story here. When he was finished, he wasn't quite sure of how to close the service. Dr. Dennis Engbrecht joined him on stage and said that he didn't know how to close either. I'm pretty sure he asked us to be silent, and invited anyone with a word from the LORD to come up and share it. A few students went to the stage, and dozens went down to the altar. This time of confession continued for over 7 hours. Confession came in two ways: confession of sin, and confession of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

I went to the stage. I have known for several months that, if this type of event happened at Bethel during my time there (and I had a feeling it would happen soon), I would have to talk about my battle with masturbation. When I thought about it, I got nervous, but I always knew that I would have perfect peace when it came down to it. A friend of mine got up and talked about how no one ever talks to girls about lust and impure thoughts. I knew at that moment that I could not sit in my seat any longer. I stood up, leaned over to my friend to tell her that I was going to go tell everyone about my life, and walked around the auditorium to join the line of students who were waiting to share. Satan was doing everything he could to get me to sit down. He has always loved to use shame and fear in my life. But the Holy Spirit gave me the peace that cannot be understood. He allowed me to speak clearly and without fear of judgement. When Dennis asked me to pray, I did not have to search for words.

I ended up sitting in the auditorium until 2:40, and then I went to get ready for work. When I got to the office a little before 3, Joye was watching the live feed of chapel. I stood there and watched with her for a while, and then I went upstairs and watched with Erica and Susan for almost two hours. I did some work, but mostly we watched and talked. It was amazing to be able to talk openly with them. I went back to the auditorium around 4:45, and stayed until Dennis closed around 5:30. During the 7 hours, several others, both guys and girls, shared about their struggles with lust and masturbation. Girls have been talking to me about their struggle and their desire to start a small group to talk about freedom. I know that God wants this to happen, and I believe that He is calling me to be a leader.

The Holy Spirit has renewed our faith and our joy. He has answered Lamentations 5:21. He returned to us the "joys that we once had." He has assured us that we do not believe in nothing or for nothing. He has given us a taste of what it will be like to worship Him face to face. He has spoken into our darkness and brought us to light and to life. For some who were lost, this truly is a revival. For those who were slipping away, this is a renewal. For those who were right with God, this is a time of joy and thankfulness and welcoming to the returning brothers and sisters. Meetings have continued to happen for the past couple of days. This is a wonderful thing, but I hope that we are not doing this for the sake of emotion or anything like that. I haven't had that sense, so don't think that I am discouraging meeting together. I know that it is commanded and important. I know that I need to take time on my own to process this, though.

I am thankful to God for pouring out his Spirit and power on our campus. I am thankful for the courage to share something that could have been humiliating for me. I am thankful for the ways that I have seen Him work in the lives of friends and strangers. I am thankful for the work that He is doing in my family. I am thankful that Spring Break is next week and that I will be able to share this experience with my friends and family.

Now I need to leave SG and go write a paper. Tomorrow starts at 6:30 with Praise and Pancakes. I'm excited.

Glory to God.

No comments: