15 December 2011

This is what I did in England (Part 3: London)

15 May 2011


Day Six: Boots +London Walking= SORE FEET!!

One of the intricately carved doors
at Westminster Abbey
It was a bright and sunny morning in Bath. We woke up around 5:15 to get ready to leave for London. Steph didn’t want to get up and when we pressured her she said “I’m gonna go worship with the pagans at Stonehenge.” Krista would not allow this and threw a pillow at her. Eventually we were all up and in the vans, ready to head to London.

Service at Westminster Abbey was beautiful. I’ve sung enough Latin masses to know what to expect. I had no problems staying awake, which surprised me. During the giving of the elements of communion, I thought about going up for a blessing or even to take part. I mean, how cool would it be to say that my first sip of alcohol was in Westminster Abbey!? But if that’s my motivation, then I would be taking communion for bragging rights and not because it was Jesus’ command. That is not okay with me. So I stayed in my seat.

I thoroughly enjoyed our walk to lunch, despite not knowing quite where we were going. We were beginning to get acquainted with the city, something we’ll need in the next few days.

After lunch, Rachelle needed to go pick up her London Pass. We agreed to meet Brent and Evan at the London Eye and five of us headed to Regent Street. After getting all that squared away, Amy, Rachelle, and I went to the Eye. We had agreed to meet between 4:00 and 4:15. The three of us stood and waited for about an hour before we decided to just go on the Eye. We had walked back and forth in the area several times, and the guys were nowhere in sight. They arrived just before we got into our pod and waited while we went around. It was a great ride and gave us an awesome view of the city.
Houses of Parliament

When our ride was finished, we started back in the direction of Westminster, stopping several times to take pictures and to watch people lose their money to young men doing sleight of hand tricks on the bridge.

Dinner was eaten in a Thai restaurant on Queensway, and was delicious.

We made our way back to the hotel and spent the evening relaxing. I discovered that one of the lifts would not go to the first floor, which was horribly frustrating. But the hotel is nice and the room is the perfect size for the three of us.

My biggest regret from the day is that I wore my boots all day. My feet were screaming by the time I got to the room.

16 May 2011


Day Seven: Two Tragedies Mended By a Mocha

Tower of London entrance
Tragedy #1: Tower of London. Bird poop. My head. The four of us (Me, Julie, Rachelle, and Amy) went to the Tower as our first used of our London Passes (henceforth to be called “LPs”). Julie wanted to go on the guided tour, and Amy agreed. Rachelle and I wanted to just walk through. We decided that we would listen for a while and if we didn’t think we’d enjoy it, we’d leave the group. It had been less than five minutes when I felt something hit my head. I thought it might have been a raindrop, but it was likely enough that it had been a bird that I didn’t want to touch it. So I turned to the others and said, “did I just gat rained on or pooped on?” They looked at my hair and said, “it’s poop.” Julie kindly cleaned it out so that it couldn’t be seen, but I was ready to get away from the tour group. The rest of our visit to the Tower was relatively uneventful.

Shortly before the
second tragedy of the day.
Tragedy #2: Thames River. London Bridge. LP. Wind. Rachelle and I wanted to do the “London Bridge Experience,” which gives the history of the Bridge along with an optional haunted house-type walk-through. It took us a while to get to the bridge, and we stopped to take a few pictures as we crossed. We were almost to the South Bank when I pulled my LP out of my purse and had it in my left hand. I was swinging my arms the normal amount for walking when my card caught on my jeans, flipped out of my hand and flew over the side of the bridge and into the Thames. My frustration with myself was beyond words. We went to the ticket office and asked if we could still get in, but they wouldn’t let me without the card.
Starbucks. We went down to the London Bridge Station to take the Tube back. The first thing I noticed was a Starbucks. My thought and words were “Praise Jesus,” because  Starbucks has long been a place where I have found comfort. It was time to head to Queensway for some retail therapy. I found three new scarves for £5 total, a Manchester United scarf for my brother, and a few other gifts.

I repacked my bags, took a shower, ate dinner at Subway, and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

17 May 2011


Day Eight: A New Nickname and Being a Groundling

Brent has decided to call me “LP” in light of my recent trouble with the Thames. I can laugh about it now, because there’s nothing else to do. It wouldn’t be worth going to the place to get a new card, since there are so many free things to do in the city.

Our first adventure of the day was switching hotels with all of our bags on the Tube. My suitcase has become very heavy, plus I have my two carry-ons and my purse. It was an interesting and graceless experience that resulted in a nasty bruise on my leg.

The afternoon was free and we couldn’t use our LPs (for various reasons) so we went to the British Museum. We started in the Ancient Egypt rooms, which were of little interest to me.

Brent texted me at some point to ask what we were doing. I told him that we were doing free things today. His response: “free things like throwing things in the river?” This did not merit a response until I could say it to his face with the appropriate tone.

The Globe Theatre
I was able to find some gifts in the shops at the museum, and then we went on our way. We found a restaurant that sounded like it would be good. We agreed that it was NOT! It was horribly disappointing, and the girl working was quite rude. Amy left a bag of souvenirs under the table. The girl, who cleaned the table while we were still in the restaurant, threw it in the trash. Amy got it out, but it left us marveling at the rudeness of many people we’d met.

As You Like It has long been one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, but I hadn’t seen it until tonight. I know that Hamlet was an option at one point, and although it would have been great to see, standing for its entirety would have been the end of me. I thoroughly enjoyed being a Groundling, though. Both for the experience and for the bragging rights.
The awesome band at Windsor.

18 May 2011


Day Nine: New People and a New Musical.

This was an interesting day. We have joined the other groups, who will certainly prove to be entertaining. Many of our fellow travelers are quite loud and rude, and a bit offensive.

Kids outside Buckingham Palace
coming from a cricket match or practice.
Our visit to Windsor Castle was fun! I enjoyed the Changing of the Guard and listening to the band play such songs as the “Star Wars” theme, The Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby,” Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and the theme from “Hawaii Five-O.”

I wasn’t terribly interested in the inside, other than thinking about all the people who had walked there before me. The history interests me, but I can learn it at home. I value the fact that I can now connect with it more personally.

The bus tour was certainly informational. Our guide made a few offensive jokes, but I realize that a) he comes from a place with a lower moral standard than that to which we are accustomed and b) we cannot hold everyone to the standards to which we hold ourselves and our Christian brothers and sisters. I did not like his behavior and I’m not excusing it, but I must show grace because grace is what I have been given.

Outside the Apollo Victoria
after seeing "Wicked."
We had dinner at the Bear and Staff, one of several Nicholson’s Pubs. As we were eating upstairs in the Chaplin Room, we looked out the windows to see that the rain had picked up, much to our dismay.

After dinner, we rejoined the group and made our way to the Apollo Theatre to see “Wicked. A New Musical.” The “new musical” bit has been a part of the title since the show opened a few years ago. This is the best production I’ve seen out of three. A few of the characters could have been better developed and performed, but Elphaba was done perfectly.

This was a good day, overall.

19 May 2011


Day Ten: Past, Present, and Future
Today started at the Natural History Museum. We spent a couple hours in the “Blue Zone” which starts with dinosaurs. As I’ve said several times, I’m not a fan of ancient history, but I did get to take some great photos.
I just think this
little guy is so cute.

The next section was mammals. Not so great for photography, but interesting anyway.

Some of this journal has been removed due to its revealing information
that does not need to be revealed yet.

After we left, we were all ready to find some lunch. Unfortunately, there isn’t much around the museum. We hopped on a bus without really knowing where it was going, but eventually we saw some restaurants, got off, and had delicious waffles and crepes for lunch and dessert.

Outside the Dominion Theatre
after seeing "We Will Rock You."
After lunch we found our way to the Victoria & Albert and walked around for a while. I found more gifts for myself and for friends.

Rachelle and I left Julie and Amy to head back to the hotel to get ready to go see “We Will Rock You.” They had some interesting adventures for the next couple of hours.


The show was AMAZING!! Our seats were wonderful, the cast was incredible, the music was delightful, and the script was overall hilarious. We’re both glad we went. I would have been rather upset if I hadn’t made it happen, because I wouldn’t have another chance.

No comments: