18 December 2011

This is what I did in England (Part 5: Scotland and heading home)


One of the peacocks at Warwick

22 May 2011


Day 12: Travel Fatigue

York Minster
I am ready to be home. I’m ready for different people and familiar foods, places, habits, TV channels, accents, preaching, etc. I’m ready to tell people about this trip. I’m ready to sleep on my own schedule and in my own bed. I’m ready for time with my best friends and with my family.
After climbing up to Hadrian's Wall

I have been working hard to hide my frustration with people, from our group and the others. I have tried to be a peacemaker. God has given me the ability to see every side of an argument, and I have a tendency to defend anyone who is receiving insult (when they don’t know about it), and this is getting me in trouble.

I’m ready to be with people who get me. I miss my friends who can finish my sentences. I miss laughing with my dad and arguing with my mom.
I’m ready for summer to really start
                       for movie marathons.
                       for lying in the sun.
                       for learning how to play the ukulele.
                       for reading stacks of books.
Thinking about all of this is making it difficult to appreciate these days, but I don’t want to just block it all out.
Dr. Gerber in Scotland
I hope a good night’s sleep helps. I have lots of homework to finish in the next couple of days.

23 May 2011


Day Thirteen: Scotch Mist

I’m feeling better about life today, but I’m more ready to go home. The inclement weather and the fear of delays due to the ash cloud are making me anxious to get on a plane and get away from it. But I only want to do that if I can be assured that there won’t be problems mid-flight.

Right now I’m sitting in the open area on our floor, next to a wall of windows. I’m watching clouds scuttle by and birds fight the wind.

The Elephant House
The birthplace of 
Harry Potter
It has been a long day. Our tour this morning was less than thrilling, excepting the time when our guide singled me out for muttering. He had been telling a story as we stood outside of Holyroodhouse. It was windy and raining, and I couldn’t hear him so I was talking to the girl next to me about how much more effective it would have been to tell us this while we were on the bus. He pulled me to the front of the group and asked me about whatever he had been talking about. I said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I couldn’t hear you.” Everyone laughed. He said, “Didn’t your mother tell you to listen to what every man says and to believe him?” More laughter. We were special friends for the rest of his time with us.
The dregs of my Elephant House mocha

Homework in the hotel.
Lunch was had at the “Birthplace of Harry Potter,” and I have been in the hotel since then.

24 May 2011


Day Fourteen: Traveling Home

We received a phone call late last night telling us to be ready to load by 2:45am. Krista and I were already planning to have an all-nighter, and the extra early departure solidified that plan. I ended up sleeping for about an hour before getting up and getting my stuff together. I managed to pack everything in the right amount of space, almost a miracle considering how much I brought and how much I bought over the past two weeks.

I climbed on the bus and fell asleep pretty quickly. I woke up around 4am to see the mist and fog over grey-green hills, with the sun just starting to shine through. It was beautiful. Then I started to feel carsick, so I closed my eyes and slept some more.

Now we’re on our way home. I’m sitting comfortably in World Traveller Plus, watching “The King’s Speech.” Characters include previous kings of England, along with a very young Queen Elizabeth II; Wallace Simpson, the American mistress/wife of the latest king’s brother; and Sir Winston Churchill. Thus far, it is a wonderful movie.

The flight is going well, although I’m feeling sick as I always do during flights. We are currently over the north central area of the Atlantic Ocean, but I unfortunately do not have a window seat and cannot see anything out the windows except the wings of the plane.

The past two weeks have been marvelous. I’ve seen and learned and grown. I’ve laughed and cried. I’ve gotten to know some wonderful people, and have realized how much I appreciate those who remained in the States. God has taught me about grace, love, patience, peace, healing tears, rest, joy, and the need to be flexible. He has granted me great patience with all of the things that could have been frustrating. I’m excited to go home and tell my family and friends about this trip, but I might be more excited to show them how I think I’ve changed.

I am so thankful for this trip and for all the hard work that went into it.

Just a few more hours. It’s odd to think that a plane can cross the Atlantic in the same amount of time it takes a coach to drive from Edinburgh to London.

 And now, I’ll return to my movie and perhaps a nap.


No comments: