25 January 2012

January 22, 2012

Here's what I did on Sunday:

7:30: Wake up, get dressed, make coffee, put on makeup. You know, get ready for church.
8:05: Leave the house.
8:20-1:45-ish: Church, lunch, hanging out with friends.
2:30: Leave the house with everything I'd need for the rest of the day.
3:00: Meet with a new small group to make a plan to be mentored by a professor. Yeah, that's a pretty good way to describe that.
4:45: Get picked up from the professor's house by Mom and Dad to go back to church.
5:00-5:30: Czech Republic meeting.
5:30: Leave the meeting early to get in the car and drive to Wheaton College.
7:30-9:00-ish(Chicago time): Listen to Don Miller (author of Blue Like Jazz, Searching for God Knows What, and A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, among other works) talk about how to live a good story.
9:15: Go to my aunt's house to chat briefly, get coffee, and receive my copy of Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie of TOMS Shoes.
Then we drove through fog back to Mishawaka, and my parents drove the rest of the way home.
I walked into a house that smelled like burned hot dogs, which is a terrible smell. The source of the smell, which still lingers in our kitchen, was actually burned microwave popcorn. I don't know the whole story.
I was awake until 3 doing homework and watching "Downton Abbey."

It was a very long day and nearly every activity involved some kind of conversation about the future.

Sunday School: We talked about abiding and resting in God, spending time with Him in order to create a deeper, stronger, more intimate relationship. It's something that I struggle with so much. It's so easy to get caught up in doing stuff for Jesus that I forget to do stuff with Jesus.

Meeting with the professor: I want to learn how to talk to people about Jesus. I am not the kind of person who walks up to people and asks them whether they know who Jesus is. I'm a seed planter. I'm a thought provoker. And I am built for relationship. I am built for incarnational missions. I'm built to spend time with people to teach and learn together. But I don't have much experience, and I want to learn from someone who does. So a group of us have decided to meet regularly and have conversations about how to have conversations.

Czech Republic meeting: I'm planning to go to Czech Republic this summer with the youth group I work with. I'm pumped. I'm nervous. I'm ready. I'm ready to train and to get to know the team. I'm ready to go and meet the people and work with them and teach English and be Jesus. I'm ready to see what God does in me and through me in the next several months.

Don Miller: So much good came out of this time, and there will be other posts about that. He brought up the need to do things with God. He talked about living a good story. And he challenged us:
"What if you had to pull out all of the meaningless days when you just watched TV or played Xbox; would there still be enough that was interesting to make a film?"
Wow. That just kills me. I waste a lot of time, and I know it. It has been a huge struggle for me, and I always want to change it, but I never really do anything about it.
"What if the things that go into a great story are the the same things that go into a great life?"
That was the premise of his talk. That's the premise of A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." (Read it. It will make you want to either take a nap or make a change. For my family, especially my mom and my brother, it brought about major change. Like, quitting jobs change.)
This will become a separate post, probably tonight.

So, yeah. Sunday was a really good day. It was exhausting and long and busy and I spent a huge amount of time thinking and contemplating my future, and wondering what's next. I still don't know. And maybe God's asking me what I want. (Read what I'm going to write for tomorrow. It will start to make sense.)

1 comment:

Jill Carr said...

Seems change is afoot in stories I love to read.

So thankful God is the Author.

Love you.