20 March 2012

119 Days.

Unless something crazy happens, in 119 days I will be boarding a plane to Czech Republic.
Holy cow.
That's less than four months.
It's coming like a freight train and I'm starting to freak out.

In a good way.

Grace Church is partnering with Josiah Venture in this trip. JV is an organization with missionaries in 11 countries in Central and Eastern Europe. This region was directly affected by Soviet rule. We are hardly a generation removed from the Berlin Wall and these kids are being raised by parents who are highly suspicious, speak little English (if any), and are not religious. Less than one-third of 1% of the population of the Czech claims to be evangelical Christian, and various cults are prevalent.

It is ineffective in a culture of mistrust to go in and proclaim the Gospel forcefully. JV's approach is focused on incarnational and relational missions. English camps have proven to be effective in building relationships, and that's what we're going to be doing while we're there. We will also partner with a local youth group to encourage them and do ministry with them.

Why I'm doing this trip:
1. Incarnational missions is the one call that I know God has place on my life (other than Biblical commands). I'm not a pushy person, but I'm a relational person. I want to see lost people come to Jesus, but I want to show them what that means rather than just telling them about it.
2. I admit that it's a bit selfish, but I am asking God to use this trip to either confirm or deny my call to overseas missions. I am open to it, but I am not sure whether it's what He wants.
3. I feel a sense of what you might call "holy obligation" to go to the Czech. I believe it would be disobedient of me to not go.

What you can do to help:
1. Pray.
-Pray for us as we prepare our hearts. We are studying a chapter of Romans each week.
-Pray that our team would grow closer together in the next four months.
-Pray for the people we will meet in our travels. We have plane rides, train rides, time in Prague, more travel time, and, of course, the week of camp. Pray that God would be preparing their hearts even now for the message that we will bring. Pray for divine appointments.

2. Give. Yes, this is a shameless request for funds. The trip will cost about $2000 for each of us. And we want to buy our plane tickets soon. Please prayerfully consider supporting us financially.
If you would like to donate, you can send a check (made out to Grace Church) to
Grace Church
Attn. Business Office
52025 Gumwood Rd.
Granger, IN 46530

IF YOU WANT THIS TO BE TAX-DEDUCTABLE, DO NOT PUT A NAME ON THE CHECK! (other than your own signature, of course)

3. Tell me what you know about Czech Republic. Or any useful words you know in the Czech language.

So, that's what's happening July 17-August 1, and in the next 119 days.
If you have any questions, you can email me at hope.swanson@bethelcollege.edu or leave a comment on this post.

No comments: