11 March 2012

Not the Spring Break I expected.

I was supposed to get my wisdom teeth taken out on February 25 at 8:15am.
I would then spend a few days swollen and on painkillers.
I had planned to hang out with my BFF eating ice cream and watching Disney movies.

That's what I thought was going to happen.

And then Thursday night happened.

The Thursday before break was a whirlwind day of classes and getting ready for an evening of theatre in Chicago.
My Shakespeare class was traveling to Navy Pier to see A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre.
It was a chilly, rainy evening. In the Windy City. On the lake.
I didn't expect to be outside much, so most of us left our coats in the van.
We ended up outside walking the length of the pier.
In a cold drizzle. With boots that are NOT water-tight.
It was great fun, but ruined my hair and left my socks damp until I got back to my house.

So the play started and about halfway through the first half I noticed a pain in my throat.
Not a normal sore throat pain, but a dull ache when I swallow.
I tried not to think about it.

By the end of the performance I was on my way to miserable.
I went to bed with a headache and woke up with a migraine.
And a midterm to take before finishing packing to spend a week at home.
It was a terrible day.

I was pretty shot when we got home, so I climbed in bed.
I woke up around seven to a text from Elyzabeth, with whom I had planned to hang out that night.
We made arrangements.
Then I took my temperature, because that's what I do when I feel sick.

101.3.

That with the achy body, the cough, the headache, and the sore throat pointed to the flu.
I would not be leaving the house that night.
Or the next day.

I would also not be having any teeth removed the next morning.

So, I didn't leave the house until Sunday, and that was just a quick run to Target.
I spent all but a couple hours of Monday sleeping.
And Tuesday was spent doing housework.
By Wednesday I was feeling pretty good, and my friend Abigail was the featured chef at a cafe at Ivy Tech.
That was fantastic!
I think I went grocery shopping with Mom on Thursday, and then had a Chinese food and Disney movie night with Lyz and Taylor.
Friday and Saturday were spent in Chicagoland celebrating my cousin's 10th birthday and hanging out with Andrew and Allie.
Sunday I went to church and then the girls brought me back to school.

We went to Urban Swirl, they dropped me off at church, I had a Czech training meeting and youth group, came home with a migraine, and went to bed at 9:00.

I really didn't enjoy my break.
I got almost nothing done, spent WAY less time with friends and family than I wanted to, and was just plain miserable for most of the week.
But, hey, it happened.
And I can't change it now.

2 comments:

Jill Carr said...

Your 10 year old cousin is VERY thankful you were at hs birthday party :)

Hope said...

Yes, that was definitely a bright spot in the week. I was VERY thankful to be there.