18 March 2010

cute couples.

this is not going to go where you think it's going.
And, of course, it started in my World Lit class today.


I love watching couples. What I really love about it is pointing out how two people really don't go together.
Sometimes, one person is really attractive and the other is mediocre at best.
Sometimes they just aren't cute together. Like, they interact awkwardly, or they don't look good together.
My least favorite couples are the ones that aren't balanced. Like, she likes him a lot more than he likes her. It's not fair to anyone if one person is doing all the work and is carrying the other.


I have talked about my rings in the past. The Rock reminds me of what is to come after this life.


In class today we talked about "The Overcoat," by Nikolai Gogol. (This is not the translation we read.) The main character, Akaky, needs a new overcoat. The one he currently owns is worn out, tattered, and not attractive. Akaky goes to the tailor and is told that he must buy a new coat. The two characters decide on a price and Akaky decides that he has something to work for. The idea of the coat gives his life a purpose.


Robby had us talk about this idea of looking forward to something, being focused on a goal, and making everything you do about achieving that goal.


I talked about my ring, about mismatched couples, about being a worthy bride.
I don't want to be an ugly bride, standing next to the beautiful Bridegroom.
I want people to look at my life and think "yeah, she and Jesus look good together."
That's a weird image, I know. What I mean is, I don't want it to seem like Jesus is doing all the work. Yes, Jesus saved my life. I can't do anything that comes even close to that. But I can give my life to him.
I can live in the way he described when he walked this earth.


"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."


Peter wrote before there was a New Testament. "Everything we need" did not include the Bible that we have today. These people had the Old Testament and some guys who wrote them letters. Most importantly, they had the Holy Spirit. Yes, Scripture is very important. But if you are listening for the Holy Spirit and are willing to let God's will take hold of your life, He will direct you in His ways. He won't tell you anything that is in conflict with His word. It is important to know Scripture so that you can be sure that what you are hearing is from God.

This is starting to stray from my original point.

I want to be a worthy bride for Christ.
To do this, I must live as he wants me to.

1 comment:

Paul Merrill said...

Great picture of our relationship with Christ!

May I be worthy of Him.