13 March 2010

Marilynn Ham and my sister.

Marilynn Ham, piano professor and Artist-in-Residence, music arranger and composer, and delightful woman came to my Perspectives in Fine Arts class on Wednesday to share her talent with us. One of the pieces she played for us was her arrangement of "He's Got The Whole World." She got to a section that I can only assume was the verse about the "little, tiny babies." It was very much like a lullaby. I began thinking about the lyrics and about my sister Kathryn.

My sister died two years before I was born. She had a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18 Syndrome. She lived for five weeks during the summer of 1989 and died in my dad's arms.

"He's got the little, tiny babies in His hands."

As I thought about this, about how true it is, and how well my parents understood it, tears came to my eyes.
I tried to not let them spill over because I thought that might make my professor ask me to share with the class. If I started talking, I'd start crying and it would be a big mess and I'd be embarrassed to go to that class ever again.

As she was being formed in our mother's womb, as her tiny body was affected by her disease, as she fought for life every day, God held my sister in His hands.

I usually think of Kate as my baby sister. The only pictures of her that exist are of an infant girl. But my sister would be twenty years old.

I don't know how we will look or what age we will seem when we get to Heaven. I'm sure my sister will not be a baby for Eternity. I hope I will recognize her when I see her.

Now, I should probably stop sitting in a metal chair while a thunderstorm rolls into town.

2 comments:

naswanson said...

What a beautiful post, Hope. Thank you. I think you should share this with your prof and Mrs. Hamm.

crazytalk05 said...

Natalie was asking about Kathryn the other day...I don't remember what brought it up. I was thinking of that "tiny little baby" and how beautiful she was...and how beautiful her short life here on earth has made so many other lives.

I cried in a meeting on Friday. Like...a meeting with my boss and another co-worker where I wasn't being confronted but it felt like it. I hate that...makes me feel weak and frustrated. Not that I mind crying, but, well, I don't feel like it's acceptable...

and that was alot of randomness related to your post.

love you, praying you have an AMAZING week!