30 June 2012

Biology and Baking: Wrap Up

I got an A in Bio.
I think I can still name quite a few muscles and bones.
I would probably pass the tests if I took them again.
But I'm glad to be finished with my science requirement for graduation.

If I was getting a grade for my baking endeavors, I'd probably get an A.
I spent two days in the beautiful kitchen at Grabill Missionary Church baking cupcakes.
My mom made one kind. My dad washed all my dishes.
I would not have been able to do what I did without them.

We left early Friday morning for Mishawaka to drop off one car.
We arrived in Kenosha around 1pm and were making frostings within the hour.
A few trips to grocery stores, a dinner break, and seven hours later, frostings were finished.
The hi-hats were completely finished and in the fridge.
Some of the mochas were done.
And everything was ready to go the next day.

After a late night of catching up with friends and watching "Spirited Away," I climbed into bed.
I decided to get up at 9. Pancakes and bacon were being prepared in the kitchen.
The first words I ever said to one of the guys were "Or, you could be a real person and drink it black."
(I drink mochas and lattes and cappuccinos with the best of them, but when I drink regular coffee, it is strong and black and without sugar. It's how I was raised.)
A beautiful, sunscreen-free hour was spent at Lake Michigan.
And then it was time to go to the church to decorate cupcakes.
Shout out to my pal Calvin, who saved me a bunch of time by setting out cupcakes and taking them out to the display.

I don't know exactly how many cupcakes ended up on that display, but I know that most of them were eaten.
And I know that they were enjoyed.
They were beautiful and delicious and I was so proud of them.

That weekend was one of the best of the entire summer.
I met some amazing people, stopped traffic, got sunburned, celebrated the marriage of an incredible couple, and was totally validated as a baker.
I could not have asked for a better first gig.

My second gig was a tiny fraction of the size, but was no less fun.
It was a graduation party for my sister-in-law's sister.
Six dozen cupcakes, only three flavors.
A breeze, compared to the previous week.
At that party, besides seeing the graduate and my entire immediate family, I saw a guy I graduated with who I hadn't seen since the day A&A got married.
So, that was cool.

And now the summer of baking is over.
At least, the baking other people have been depending on.

It has been a three-post night.
And it is 2:30am.
I'm going to bed.

No comments: