29 April 2013

Independent Study: Here's How I'm Going To Pass

We realized that finishing the whole book while trying to pass everything else and while Dad still works full time was just not going to happen.

Dad suggested an alternative.
Rather than sacrificing in other areas, we'd postpone the final version of A Great Work.

Instead, we spent some time this evening putting the introduction, the first five chapters, and my post in defense of publication (the Foreword) into PressBooks.

We'll be able to send that document to a kind of test audience to whet their appetites.
I'm excited about this.

Of course, it wasn't my first choice.
I suppose I forgot that this was a real class.
I dropped the ball and just couldn't quite pick it up again, and that is difficult for me to admit.
This was my fault. Despite regular reminders from my parents, I neglected this project.

But Terry has been gracious and encouraging, more so than I have deserved.

We still want to publish the whole book. We will work on it this summer, in all of the free time we'll have.

That was sarcasm. Dad and I will both be working this summer, at the same place. That's a different post.

Tomorrow I'll be writing about PressBooks.

1 comment:

Jon Swanson said...

I'm thinking that the five chapter approach isn't just because we put it off. Reading APE earlier in the semester showed me the value of testing and feedback and comments as part of the publishing process, especially for ebook publishing. It's part of platform building. So I'm not sure that this is a lesser thing, I think it's the right thing. (And that's not just justifying my one procrastination. It seems to work very well for Guy Kawasaki and for others who have allowed sharing of their work)