29 April 2013

Independent Study: In Defense of This Method

The author reads my posts. He commented on the one I wrote last night:


"I'm thinking that the five chapter approach isn't just because we put it off. Reading APE earlier in the semester showed me the value of testing and feedback and comments as part of the publishing process, especially for ebook publishing. It's part of platform building. So I'm not sure that this is a lesser thing, I think it's the right thing. (And that's not just justifying my one procrastination. It seems to work very well for Guy Kawasaki and for others who have allowed sharing of their work.)"

One of the books that has helped me in this project is a recent publication by Guy Kawasaki and Shawn Welch. APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur is a self-published book about self-publishing. 


Publishing this way allows us to tweak the book until we're ready to publish. Even after we make our PressBooks version public, we'll be able to make changes so people will get the most updated version.


It's what influenced my post in defense of publishing A Great Work, and has helped me understand the process authors go through when trying to convince people to buy into their books.
If you want to learn more, buy the book. (This link goes to Dad's Amazon store.) and/or check out apethebook.com.

Like Dad said, this approach is helping us with more than making a deadline. We can ask for feedback, build an audience, and make sure what we're putting out there is what people want to read.

I was home for last night and part of today, and having this conversation with Dad helped me feel like less of a failure in this project.
Also, my grades are slowly being published and I have A's in everything so far. Including Romans, which was stressing me out.
I would love to write more, but my youth pastor's baby is struggling to survive, and I need to pray for him.

I ask you to join me.

No comments: