29 January 2010

gah! Edward Rochester!!

Bethel College presents "Jane Eyre the Musical" February 11, 12, and 13. Call the Box Office at 574.807.7080 to order tickets. It is going to be a wonderful show.


If you have not read the book and do not want to know the story until you see the show, stop reading this right now. It will ruin the ending for you. Seriously.


But that is not what this post is about.


And please note that I am writing about the musical, not the book. I haven't read the book.


Also note that this is my opinion. All of my posts are my opinion. And you do not have to agree.


This post is about how I usually want to punch Nate Jackson (Edward Rochester) in the face during Act II, scene vii. (When Alex Cox is playing Rochester, I will probably want to punch him in the face as well, but I've only seen Nate in the role so far.)
Jane Eyre has been living as the governess at Thornfield Hall, Mr. Rochester's residence. She falls in love with him, but he is expected to marry Blanche Ingram. However, he is in love with Jane and makes Blanche stop wanting to marry him. She only wanted to marry him for his money anyway. (Remember the fact that he was intending to marry her. That's part of my point.) He proposes to Jane, calling her his equal. At this point, he seems like a great guy.
Let's move on to the wedding scene. The vicar is performing the ceremony when Mr. Mason enters, declaring that the wedding cannot continue. Rochester encourages the vicar to continue, but Mason insists that Rochester is already married. Rochester tells the vicar to close his book, that there will be no wedding. They return to Thornfield Hall to meet Grace Poole's patient, "[his] lovely wife."
Yep. He's already married. Jerk. As Edward introduces Bertha (who happens to be insane), he says that she's the only woman he will ever sleep with again. He loves Jane and was going to marry her. He was going to marry Blanche.
Jane leaves Thornfield and returns to her aunt, Mrs. Reed. Mrs. Reed dies, leaving Jane a fortune. St. John, the curate of the local parish, befriends Jane, falls in love, and eventually proposes to her. "For now I claim you in holy marriage." Maybe not the best phrasing, but he does acknowledge that she was not made to be the "typical" wife. Unfortunately, Jane does not want to go with him on his missionary journey to India. He tells her to pray for guidance, and while she is praying, she hears Edward's voice calling to her. It's a beautiful scene if you can ignore (forgive) everything he has done. He has not stopped loving her.


I think I feel bad for St. John. And I think I blame Jane. In trying to make herself forget Edward, she tries to love St. John. I think she leads him on a little. He seems to understand her decision to turn him down, but I'm pretty sure he's devastated. I hope he has a good time in India and finds a woman as strong-willed as Jane Eyre.


Jane returns to Thornfield to learn that Bertha has burned the place and jumped to her death. Mr. Rochester is now free to marry Jane. By the way, he was badly injured by the fire and is blind. They get married. They have children. His sight comes back. They are "brave enough for love."


Things I like about Edward Rochester:
He thinks that it is important for Jane to be his "equal."
He sees Jane as a real person, a significant human being, and someone who has value beyond simply wife-hood. (I think I just made up that word.)
He admits to his mistake when he is confronted, and regrets his actions.
He remains committed to Jane.


Things I don't like about Edward Rochester:
He is willing to commit physical adultery by marrying a second wife.
He commits adultery in his heart when he falls in love with Jane.
He lets his physical desires take control with Adele's mother and with Bertha, and does not really love either of them.


I mostly just think he's a jerk. Sure, he feels some remorse. And I believe he truly does love Jane.
And I'm impressed that she can forgive him. I'm not sure how I would conduct myself in that situation.


I really do like this show. It's a wonderful story of forgiveness. In forgiving Edward, Jane gains a love that will last, a new daughter, and later a son.


And it makes a great story to tell at dinner parties.
"Oh, I was just a lowly governess. Then the master and I fell madly in love and were going to be married. But, wait, he already had a wife and she was freaking crazy. So I left, watched my aunt die, got a lot of money, and some guy proposed to me. Then I somehow heard Edward's voice over the moors. So I came back. The crazy wife had destroyed the house and Edward's physique. But that's okay, because she died so I could marry him."


Yep. That's the story of "Jane Eyre the Musical."


In my frustrated words.

1 comment:

dr3am3r said...

Yes! Agreed. I really like your writing and how you are not afraid of sharing your opinions. I would laugh if you punched Nate in the face. Rochester is definitely not a good character.

I think a lot of people think that the show of Jane Eyre should end unhappily and that it would be more fitting. Yet, as you said, the redemptive quality of the show is priceless. The nice thing about the show is that it is very similar to the novel.

Jane Eyre is a good show.

Oh. I can't stand St. John. He's my least favorite character. Granted, he does acknowledge that Jane is more than just a wife-type. Yet, I loathe "you were made for labor not love." Now, that is the way to a woman's heart. GAH! St. John infuriates me definitely more than Rochester. Rochester is just psychologically confused. okay, rant over.