04 January 2010

love advice from Seventeen. part one.

which, naturally, follows the pages about getting "your hottest body."
these pages usually are followed by a letter from Body Peace expert Jess Weiner about being comfortable and happy with the way you look. I've always (since I started receiving the magazine) thought that the Body Peace Treaty was about being okay with your own body, and not caring about how other people thought about you.

apparently, I'm wrong. the February issue the Body Peace page is about "what guys really think of your body."
"soft is feminine!" (to that I say, "what does 'feminine' actually mean?)
"less is more!" (about his "good female friend" who keeps dyeing her hair.)
"we like your butt!" (he loves his girlfriend's big butt. "That said, if a girl has a flat butt, that's fine too. I'd probably just notice the other beautiful parts about her--her eyes or her smile." or her beautiful personality? or sense of humor?)
"we love any size breasts!" (at least this guy admits that his first reaction is a "mix of lust and curiosity.")
and "bashing your body is a turnoff!" (this one is less annoying, but it seems critical of the way a girl feels.)

are you telling me that I should be at peace with my body because guys are looking at me and wanting me? sorry, but that's not the kind of guy I want. I mean, yeah, it's nice to get noticed for the way I look, but I don't want that to be the reason he wants to hang out with me. and I admit, I do have some self-esteem issues. but they don't take over my life, and they rarely hold me back from anything.



No comments: