06 January 2010

love advice from Seventeen. part three.

the next two page: "How to say 'I love you' (without freaking him out!)"
I just love this one. oh, wait, did it freak out? maybe I used the L-word too soon!!

anyway.

this page includes a checklist! ha! it really makes me laugh that someone would think that checking off four items is enough for a girl to know that she is in love with someone. "he is constantly on your mind." "you have fun with him." "you feel no insecurities." "you're 100-percent certain."

"he is constantly on your mind."
so is a person you're obsessed with.

"you have fun with him."
I have fun with a lot of people.

"you feel no insecurities."
this is important in any friendship.

"you're 100-percent certain."
what does "certain" mean? that you feel right about it. is it all about feelings with Seventeen? because I'm pretty sure that true love isn't about feelings. everything I've heard about true love has said that it's an action, not a feeling. of course, I've never been in love, so I can't speak as an authority on the subject. but it's whatever.

there's another box on the pages that tells you how to say it right.
it does say to wait. "two months or less is too soon!"
yes!! thank you!! finally, some good advice.

it also says to say it after a date, rather than after a fight.
also good advice.

then it says to kiss him. because it "will give him a second to gather his thoughts--so he can get the guts to say it back!" um. well. I hope he doesn't really have to think about it. honestly, I'd like the guy to say it first. I'm not saying that the guy must say it first, just that it would be nice.

nor am I saying that I'm an authority on this subject. I'm just a kid who has watched too many kids throw away their innocence and pride.
also, I have strong opinions, and I have a blog.

dear Seventeen Magazine,
I'm disappointed. virginity is not relative and it's not something to speak so casually about. love is a serious subject and cannot be decided by a checklist. the way a girl feels about herself should not be decided by the way a guy feels about her.
I canceled my subscription because your magazine is annoying and degrading. yep. degrading. and I know that I owe you $10. you'll get it eventually. I promise.

love,
Hope Swanson


4 comments:

crazytalk05 said...

Have I told you that I want you as a role model for my teenage daughter? Oh wait...you are! So thankful for you Hope!

Jenn Emmons said...

Haha! Hope you are a smart girl!! Thats all I have to say!

Anonymous said...

i'm really thankful to have the link to your blog

here's the thing though

this is how you have been leaving us a lot of times

------------

like I'm going to have lots of readers?

I should get a social life.

I'm not sure why I'm posting all of this for all the world to see, but I guess it's not a completely private matter. If you feel that you've wasted your time by reading this, well, I'd say that it's your own fault. Stop reading now.

or am I saying that I have any right to say any of this. I'm not an authority on the subjects of love, sex, or self-esteem.

because you SOOOOOO want to read about the life of a college student.

---------------

you have something to offer
you might not know what it is
or why
but if you trust in it
stop pooping on yourself!!

if you keep doing it
i'll get on a plane and come kick you're butt
how's that for Christian love :)

Hope said...

thanks, ladies!!

Kat, I apologize. for real. a lot of the stuff when I first started writing was just me talking about my day in a way that I wouldn't even want to read. and when I'm sitting on my bed writing these rants, it's really easy for me to believe that no one is interested in reading. and the end of these posts is mostly because I don't want anyone to think that I think I'm the final word on these subjects.
I'll do my best to stop, because I'm pretty sure I'm afraid of you and your crazy Christian love. :)