27 January 2010

"what it means in movies" expanded and explained.

Posts like these usually get me in trouble, so I'm going to be VERY vague.
But I haven't posted a "here's what's going on in my life" type post in a while.

So, there's this guy. Obviously. and I guess like him as much. I like him as I can say that I like someone after only speaking to him a couple times and noticing his behavior in class. Which, for me, is actually not very much, but for the purpose of this post, I like him.
He's a funny guy. He's a nice guy. He's a pretty dang smart guy. And, most important, he's a solid Christian guy. Apparently he has a really cool story, that I will ask him about someday. A friend of mine told about me three months ago to ask this guy about his life. Instead, I'm learning about him as we get to know each other.
Last week, I was watching him a little bit during an event we both happened to be attending, and I noticed (probably because I was hoping for it) that as he was glancing around the room through the night he happened to hold my gaze for an extra couple of seconds. I wanted so badly to keep looking at him and let the moment develop. But I'm always afraid that a guy is going to think I'm a creeper, and I looked away every time, always smiling. "Sticky eyes" is the phrase used in Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging (the book, not the new television series). You hold the guy's gaze as you look away. It's supposed to be romantic and flirtatious. It's just weird, but I do it anyway.
You know that moment in every love story movie? The one when the main guy and the main girl see each other for the first time. The scene slows down, the music changes, and it's like they're the only people in the room. Well, if I read into what was happening that night, it would have been that moment. Unfortunately, I don't have the greatest track record with guys. This has made me believe that I will never have that moment. I watch those movies all the time and I make fun of them because it's never like that. (Of course, I secretly want that moment with every fiber of my being.) So I convinced myself that we just happened to be glancing at each other at the same time. It happened every time he happened to glance at me, but was just a coincidence. (If you know me well, you probably know that I tend to believe in coincidences.)
More recently, we've been making and maintaining eye contact. We've been hanging out. We've been having real conversations about all kinds of things. It's a grand time. It isn't going anywhere, and that's fine. I like being friends with this guy. I'd like to eventually be more than friends. But it's okay for now.
Hooray for Hope's personal life. :-)


Now, to all the people (and there are about six people in this group) who are encouraging me to date a certain someone, shut up. I know that he's a great guy. He's smart, relatively funny, he loves Jesus, and I can have intelligent conversations with him. I love my friendship with him. But I don't have any interest in ever dating him. He's not my "someday guy." (That was a "Cougar Town" reference. I hope someone picked up on it.) I'm not attracted to him. We have some fundamental disagreements. I'M NOT GOING TO DATE HIM, NO MATTER HOW OFTEN YOU BRING IT UP. So please, for the sake of my friendship with you and with him, STOP!!
Thanks.

2 comments:

Melisa said...

hahah!!! I LOVE that I know who you're talking about...it makes me feel a little sneaky. Plus it makes me laugh :)

Hope said...

I hope you're talking about the second part. because I don't think anyone knows who the first part is about. do we need to chat?

the answer to that is "yes" anyway.